Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Crouching Tiger Hidden Student

Well, it was a relatively uneventful return after a 3 day weekend. That is until.......my last period physical science class of 9th graders, aka satan's disciples. This is the ONLY, yes, only class I continue to struggle with in terms of getting the students to focus. It is the largest, and last class of my day, filled with a notoriously out of control group of 14 year olds. I jokingly accused my principal of doing this on purpose, and he simply offers an evil grin that screams "trial by fire Mr. Smith!"
After 10 minutes of lessons on the various states of matter, I walked toward the east end of the room, where to my surprise I find a student crouched, literally underneath the desk of a fellow student. (He really was hidden quite well folks!) The problem, this student is not in this period, and is only in my 1st period class. He begins with some feable excuses about how he's afraid of the teacher whose class he is supposed to be in (my pathwise mentor FYI) Also, she is much more forgiving discipline wise than myself. Keep in mind, I have had not one single discipline referral to the principal yet, something he's made note of in passing. Well, long story short, myself and the hidden one, went straight to the office! No, we did not pass go, or collect 200 dollars. We bypassed the secretary, and nearly knocked over the counselor (ok, maybe a bit exaggerated?) but, either way we went straight to the principal. I explained to him my disappoinment, and the classroom disruption. As soon as class was over I received an email that said the student had been assigned to 3 days ISS (in school suspension) Now, even before receiving the email, I took the student aside after the bell, and explained the lack of respect, and advised him to come to me prior to class if he has any problems.
Now, the heartbreaking part......................I am an old softy, and as a parent this hit me hard. I was unsure whether I had handled the situation appropriately, therefore I spoke with our counselor. First, she said that I did indeed do exactly as their policies require, and that I had no other choice. She then went on to explain that how recently this student and his siblings had been acting out do to problems at home. He and several sisters have been living with their aunt after the parents separated following abuse of their mother by the drunken father. I realize I have to maintain an acceptible learning environment for the other students, but this did indeed break my heart.............I have more repect for teachers now than ever before! What an emotional rollercoaster!

No comments: